Pet Toxins

As a new homeowner, I am beginning to realize there a lot more common household items that are dangerous for our four legged kids than I had thought.  There are a lot of foods, for example, that can be harmful for your pet if they would happen to get into your cabinets and have a free for all.  Some common foods that are harmful for our dogs and cats are: chocolate, bread dough, cherries, grapes, mushrooms, onion, peach pits, and salt.  Most of these foods are common to have in houses and should be placed in spots that are out of reach for animals.  Some common signs to look for if you think your animal has ingested a food that may be harmful to them can include, but are not limited to: vomiting (+/- blood), diarrhea (+/- blood), lethargy, seizures or black, tarry stools.  If you think your pet has ingested one of these foods, or something else that could be potentially harmful to them call your veterinarian, an emergency veterinary hospital, or the Pet Poison Helpline.  The Pet Poison Helpline also a website that you can visit to help determine if what your pet has gotten into is dangerous to them.

There are also a multitude of things that are poisonous for pets that are not only limited to the kitchen.  These can be things such as household cleaners, mouse or rat poisons and weed killers that are used for your garden or flower beds.  Make sure that these items are kept in places that your pets can’t reach them or accidentally knock them off of a shelf and spill them.  Rat and mouse poisons are especially toxic to pets.  These rodenticides affect the way blood clots and it causes animals to bleed out. If you think your pet may have gotten into one of those poisons contact your veterinarian or an emergency veterinarian right away – they will be able to guide you as to what to do until you can get your animal to the veterinarian.

If your pet has gotten into something in or around your house there are a few good websites that will be of help to you – the ASPCA and Pet Poison Helpline.  There is also a Pet Poison helpline you can call if you don’t have direct access to the internet – 855-764-7661.

The Pet Poison Helpline as a great infographic (the featured image):



    *Required Fields


    Please note this is JUST a request for an appointment.
    If you have not received a phone call from our office confirming an appointment within 24 hours of a request, please call our office. Note: request forms are only checked during normal business hours and days. Thank you!